The Alternate Test of Candidacy
I have a lot of people to give credit to for this theory – I’ve been reading a lot about the alternate timeline and what it means.. so thanks to everyone for the awesome ideas. This is basically my amalgamation of what I’ve seen and what I now believe.
The alternate timeline is some form of a test or way of determining the validity of a character’s candidacy on the island. I think I have Highbrow to thank for this idea – he posted it on one of my theories. Anyways…
– Alt timeline Jack is calm, collected, has faith in more things than he used to. We are now seeing an Island timeline Jack who has faith in himself and, oddly enough, in Jacob. He demonstrates this by betting that the dynamite will not blow up. Good call. Jack is still a valid candidate.
– Alt timeline Sayid gives in to the evil side of his character by killing Keamy. Island timeline Sayid also gives in to his infection, his darker side and kills Dogen and Lennon, and he ultimately joins Flocke. He is no longer a legitimate candidate.
– Alt timeline Claire makes the decision to not give birth; my thought is that if she had decided to give birth right then and there, she would have fallen in love with Aaron and raised him herself. This would have been the ‘good’ choice and helped her remain a legitimate candidate. However, she decides to postpone the birth – most likely so that she can find some other parents for Aaron. This, obviously, is what she must not do. She has thus given up her candidacy. Island Claire obviously has been with Flocke for some time. I believe the infection has completely claimed her.
– Alt timeline Kate is still a runner.. still a fellon.. still a pain in the ass. She has not quit her annoying antics. Island Kate has now tagged along with Flocke. I believe we will see her become infected and eventually give in to her darker side – her desire to run. She will no longer be a legitimate candidate.
– Alt timeline Sun and Jin still seem to have some relationship issues. Jin is still under Paik’s influence and doing his illegal dirty work. Sun seems to be independent of Jin. Whatever love they were supposed to have… doesn’t seem to be there. This may determine their candidacy in the Island timeline. I don’t think we’ve seen enough to make an educated decision though.
The only characters/candidates left – Ford, Reyes – we haven’t seen enough of their alternate timelines in order to determine who they will follow – Jacob or Flocke. I’m very interested to see Sawyer’s alt timeline.
Some predictions: Though Sawyer seems to be the same devious con-man on the airplane in the alternate timeline. I am betting we will see him get in touch with his daughter. This will legitimize his candidacy – and hopefully we’ll see him pull one over Flocke. I’m aso gonna guess that Hurley will make the right decisions. We’ve already seen him help out Locke in the alt timeline.. but I don’t know if that is significant enough. Hurley’s character has always, always, always been good – I would be disappointed to see him join Flocke and become infected.
One other hypothesis. Could Ben have renewed his candidacy? I know his name has been scratched out.. but what if his noble alt timeline actions, which sober up his manipulative self on the island, have put him back into the running of becoming the island’s new leader. Maybe. I’d like to think so. I like the new Ben.
Anyways.. that’s it! Discuss!